Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I'm just gettin' started

Me
Since this is my first blog post, I thought I should tell you a bit about myself.

I am Sarah Falkavage - born and raised in central Wisconsin - yes I love cheese.  First and foremost I am a mom of three amazing (read "crazy") boys, and wife to one wonderful (read "crazy") husband.  We have a dog, three fish a lizard and a turtle named Jeff.  I have recently made a big move back to my hometown - and while it was probably the most difficult endeavor I have ever had to go through - I am finally confident (and I was not always) that we are where we should be.

My day job is at an insurance company as a data analyst - really love it.  I have my hands in SQL server more than I ever thought I would.  It might sound corny, but this is probably about as close to a dream job as I could get.  I think I was about 30 when I figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I wanted to work with databases - not just MS Access (although it was fun seeing what I could do with that), but, you know, a real database - like Oracle or SQL Server. I got my opportunity about 7 years ago and have not looked back.  Over that time I have had the opportunity to learn an educational institution software system called Jenzabar, the back-end database for an ERP system called IFS (a system which I had learned from a business perspective about 10 years earlier) - and now on to some really exciting stuff - analytical reporting for an insurance company. 

I can hear the ohh's and ahh's... no really... it is exciting!


In my spare time I enjoy a good run (I run about as slow as one could run and still call it running, but I do it), downtime with a crochet project (yep, yarn crafts), and sharing my best ideas for the yummiest "health" food I have found.  I have managed to lose 30 lbs by changing my lifestyle - and despite a career in IT - about as much at a desk as one can get - I've kept it off for over a year, and I feel great!



My Inspiration
You might ask, then, why I am blogging about SQL Server.  Good question. Recently I read a post on Paul Randall's SQL Skills blog indicating that he was offering up the opportunity to be mentored by him. Wow... talk about an inspiration.  If you have not already seen the wealth of information they offer up on sqlskills.com - I highly recommend it.


I had the great opportunity to attend a SQL Skills course a few months back and I am still studying and testing, and trying to replicate little proofs that Paul and Kim had demonstrated - tweaked a bit for our environment. It was a great course, and I thought to myself that teaching a course in SQL Server would really be something I would enjoy.  I have found over the years that I really enjoy teaching.  [Now, my husband was a high school teacher, and I am definitely not crazy enough to follow in that path.  Kudos to all the teachers out there - you have my utmost respect!] I do, though, like to teach in a pseudo-classroom environment (meeting rooms - online or in person).  I love it when the people in my "class" ask questions because their curiosity has been piqued or I have hit on a topic of particular interest.  So - what's the first thing I would do with a mentorship from/with Paul Randall?  I would try to glean all I could from his technical, business and most specifically teaching experience.  A goal of mine would be to speak at a SQL Server conference - probably locally at first, but ultimately at a regional or national level.  That possibility really excites me - and I think that Paul would be able to help get me there.



My Blog
Already I have been inspired to write this post, but I am definitely looking forward to posting more.
So as  I consider blog posts, they will likely be about one of three things. 1. sql server and some cool stuff I've learned about it, 2. the amazingly crazy world of raising 3 boys, or 3. while I'm no health nut, sharing the best "healthy" food I have found.
 

Feedback
I aim to teach, inspire and if I'm lucky, entertain.  I hope that as more posts are added that you will leave me some feedback, additional hints, and musings of your own.


I'm looking forward to this!
'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment